[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

David S vipassana8123 at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 17:24:34 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

>Watch out! The Shurangama sutra tells us that anyone who invokes the notorious
>three-fold rule is dealing in forged sutras and is liable to be reborn in
>hell. If that is true, maybe you and I can hang out together in hell for a
>couple of aeons. If I may paraphrase Mark Twain (and my mother), hell sounds
>like a hell of a lot more fun, not to mention a lot more educational, than
>all those paradises and pure lands filled with earnestly wholesome
>bodhisattvas whose logic cannot be distinguished from that of the Taliban.

  LOL.  I'll take my chances, hell can't be any worse than the weather here in
  Las Vegas, Nevada;  about 100 degrees today (that's about 40 degrees for our
  non-American brothers and sisters) and it gets up to 120 for a few days every
  July and August.

I just saw the CNN video and the baby was really starved.  There was no vegan
  diet;  there was no diet at all.

  Cases like that can give vegetarianism and especially veganism a bad name that
  it otherwise does not deserve.  I think it is the ideal diet that is best to strive for.  Even
  in lesser degrees, such as reduced meat eating and reduced animal product eating
  can do good for the environment, your health, and especially the health of the animal.

  Breatharian?  I have heard that the so-called proponents of breatharian movements have
  been caught woofing down candy bars when no one is looking.  The so-called Buddha-boy
  of Nepal was fed a rice-milk dish at night when the curtains were drawn and the cameras
  were off.

  There is no escaping some killing.  Even if breatharian "diet" worked, there would still be
  the killing of microorganisms in the air everytime you breathe.

  Solution?  Middle way, go vegetarian to the level you are comfortable with, such as partial
  veggie, veggie plus fish, lacto-ovo, etc.  And then don't condemn the meat-eaters!  They
  hate that as anyone would not liked to be called a heretic.  Culture and tradition are not
  easy to just give up, even for otherwise very intelligent people.

  David S.