[Buddha-l] Victimized Vegans?

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 12:38:59 MDT 2007

Joy et al., hypocrites lecteurs, mes semblables, mes frères!

Joy wrote,

> With knowledge evolving, thanks to science, we lose our original
> innocence and what used to be non-volitional *could* no longer be
> considered as such since now we know. And when we know about "evil" or
> "harm" and don't act against it, we become guilty by affiliation or
> somesuch and the non-volitional becomes less non and more volitional.

I agree with you. I'm currently slogging through the Vinaya (in
Horner's sprightly [not!] translation). What strikes me about the rules
and their evolution is how consistently they strive to apply the
principles of humility and non-harming to all the aspects of the monks'
lives, and yet how often they fail to accomplish this because they
often seem unaware of the sangha's interdependence with society and, in
fact, all beings. As you were saying, we know more now about the harm
we cause in every moment, on every level, both biologically and
socially. Seems to me, this "is" (knowing), leads to an "ought" (acting
responsibly). To take the obvious example, since we now understand how
markets function, we can any longer take seriously as a consistent
ethical position the practice of monks eating meat that was bought at
the grocery for them, but not slaughtered for them.

> There seems to be no morality without hypocrisie (= intentional
> blindness, intentionally-not-wanting-to-know in order to save
> morality).

Bien entendu, so how far do we take this? The engaged Buddhism movement
has done a good deal of thinking on this sort of thing. Not so much the
meat market issue, but the capitalist market issue. I hope that work
will reshape the sangha, even in Asia. It is certainly reshaping the
sangha in convert Buddhist centers in the West. And yet I just ate a
salami sandwich.

As for suicide, I think you see in the Vinaya rules the evolution you
mentioned. That suicide even appears as a possible option within the
texts, suggests the canonical view took a long time to clarify. So does
the view on everything worth discussing, no?

Ton hypocrite auteur,

Franz