[Buddha-l] Victimized vegans?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat May 12 15:09:33 MDT 2007

On Saturday 12 May 2007 12:44, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> I think you'll like this one better than the Lanka:

>       Sutta Nipata 245

There is no Buddhist text I like more than the Sutta Nipata, whereas the
Descent (avataara, which perhaps can better be translated as Steep Decline)
of the Dharma into Lanka is among my least favorite Buddhist texts, ranking
just barely above the loathsome Lotus Sutra.

Come to think of it, I really can't stomach a fairly large amount of the
Mahayana corpus. The Sutta Nipata is my favourite because of its inspiring
message that we shouldn't distinguish between our favourite texts and those
we find loathsome. It's hard to wage a jihad on the basis of the Sutta
Nipata, but I do my best.

--
Richard