[Buddha-l] Mindfulness And Murder

"Kåre A. Lie" alberlie at online.no
Sun May 13 10:35:19 MDT 2007

At 09:59 13.05.2007 -0600, you wrote:

>Hey--sounds like great vacation reading!

It is. The book is well written. The plot is good, and the author obviously
is familiar with Bangkok and life in a monastery. He gives very lively
descriptions of daily life in a town monastery, the streets of Bangkok, and
he also has some rather critical remarks on society. Sounds very realistic
to me. The monk-detective hero also tries to apply some very sound buddhist
principles to the way he is trying to solve the mysteries.

I sometimes think that this book might be a good "Introduction to Buddhism"
for young people. Exciting read and sound Buddhism in one package!

I also read the second book in the series, "The Garden of Hell". It is set
in a monastery in the countryside, so you get a relief from the hot streets
of Bangkok. There are some references to the plot of the first book, so it
may be wise to read "Mindfulness and Murder"first, if you would like to
read both of them. In my view "The Garden of Hell" is not quite up to the
standard of the first book, but nevertheless an acceptable vacation
reading, this one too.

Kåre

>Joanna
>
>=============
>Has anyone read Nick Wilgus? Worth reading ?
>
>Book Description
>When a homeless boy living at the youth shelter run by a Buddhist monastery
>turns up dead, the abbot recruits Father Ananda, a monk and former police
>officer, to find out why. He discovers that all is not well at this urban
>monastery in the heart of Bangkok. Together with his dogged assistant, an
>orphaned boy named Jak, Father Ananda uncovers a startling series of clues
>that eventually expose the motivation behind the crime and lead him to the
>murderers.
>
>Mindfulness and Murder is the first in the Father Ananda mystery series.
>
>About the author
>Nick Wilgus is a writer and senior subeditor for the "Outlook" section of
>the Bangkok Post.

>7:34 PM

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>12:17 PM