[Buddha-l] Poll on Buddho-capitalism

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 03:52:17 MDT 2007

Eric

> Dan, I fail to see that from the fact that many metaphors in Buddhism
> are derived from trade follows that a Buddhist has to be a capitalist.

So I take that as a vote for
NO = Capitalism is the root of all evil, and my Buddhist thinking belongs to
an entirely different universe.

What was briefly pointed to as evidence of Buddho-capitalist complicity was
not merely some metaphors, but the entirety of Buddhist history, including
its status and bases in the current world. Take a few moments to reflect on
when and where Buddhism flourished, why the Silk Road had that name, why
modern attraction to Buddhism occurs primarily in well-heeled capitalist
societies (and which classes in those societies flock to it), etc. No
metaphors needed.

> I like to choose my own middle way: who cares, nobody wants to live in
> Maos China or Bushes USA anyway, but both brought us to the brink of an
> environmental catastrophy, isn't it time to stop playing the ideology
game?

"Keep you doped with religion, sex and tv / now you think you're so clever,
and classless and free / but you're still fucking peasants as far as I can
see.
A workingclass hero is something to be..."
John Lennon, "Workingclass Hero"

Dan Lusthaus