[Buddha-l] Poll on Buddho-capitalism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue May 15 03:50:03 MDT 2007

Joy Vriens schreef:

> The main virtue of Buddhism, it's basic principle is renunciation. Does renunciation conflict with capitalism? Does "décroissance" conflict with "croissance"?
>

> _
In principle capitalism is an economic model, it doesn't prescribe individual behaviour, in fact that's supposed to be its strong point: the invisible hand (and invisible trampling foot). You can renounce possesions and invest all your money in new enterprises if you believe it to be your duty in order to stimulate the economy. So in one aspect growth doesn't contradict Buddhism.
But what Adam Smith never could imagine, is that production has become reproduction and massproduction. So the economy changes from production orientated to demand orientated, but the demand is naturally limited. This is where Buddhism (and antique techniques of the self) come in: you're happier if you need less.  The need for economic growth is caused by the emancipation of the poor mass combined with struggle for survival of the old power structures. You need to make the pie bigger if you want to feed all and keep your big slice.  So the demand has to increase, which means the mass has to consume products it doesn't need, but only believe it needs. You can eat only so much bread, but you can consume an endless series of computergames. This doesn't make people happy according to Buddhist and antique teachings, but who says that economy is about making people happy? Conclusion: even Canadian or Swedish capitalism is at odds with Buddhist principles. If you can take out the need for economic growth, which is perhaps unavoidable for environmental reasons, then the model may become more in accordance witj Buddhist an antique practices to become happy.
In politics the Buddha had only one advice if I remember well: let there be regular meetings and so that everybody can agree and splitting into antagonistic groups doesn't happen (Palestinian and Iraqi scenario). Now I don't see how this can happen if only money talks.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
products: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio