[Buddha-l] Victim? - was Victimized vegans?

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed May 16 04:24:11 MDT 2007

> Hi Joy
> That never came up, but Norbu was a familyman. For rape you should ask
> the Kargyudpa tradition especially the late Kalu Rche has made himself a
> reputation.

Eric - I think you are referring to the allegations made by Ms. June Campbell in
her book - "Traveler in Space: Gender, Identity and Tibetan Buddhism".

June was one of Kalu Rinpoche's translators in the early 1970's. I don't think
she (or anyone else) ever claimed she was "raped" by Kalu Rinpoche - though she
does claim that she took advantage of his position as her teacher in order to
persuade her to become his "tantric consort". In other words she is claiming an
  abuse of power not "rape".

Personally I have serious doubts about these claims. I knew both June Campbell
and Kalu Rinpoche very well during that whole time period and saw both of them
almost every day. June first made these claims years after the events allegedly
took place and, when she initially told the story to personal friends, the Lama
she claimed this occurred with was another, younger Tulku at the same monastery
with whom she also had a close connection.

When her book came out and the lama concerned in the story had changed to Kalu
Rinpoche those to whom she had earlier related the story were quite surprised.

But then the other, much less well known Lama was still alive when she published
her book - and Kalu Rinpoche was not there to dispute her claims.

> I must say that I was rather embarrassed when an elderly and
> important rinpoche of this tradition kissed me on the mouth and asked me
> to visit him early in the morning in his chambers (I cannot remember his
> name now).

Homosexual relations are fairly common within many Tibetan monasteries of all
traditions. The scandal is that these 'relationships' are often abuse by mature
or elderly monks of young boy novices and that these goings on are more or less
ignored by many western students who cannot be unaware of the situation.

Personally I think this warrants far more attention than dubious and
unsubstantiated claims by an educated and grown up woman that she was persuaded
by an elderly & frail Tibetan lama to become his 'tantric consort'.

- Chris