[Buddha-l] Bowl shaped earth

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed May 16 10:18:46 MDT 2007

Jim Peavler wrote:
> Anyone who has ever stood out in the middle of the high plains
> somewhere (say the Texas panhandle or Kansas for examples, knows that
> no matter which way the observer turns, the horizon is slightly higher
> than her head. Hence it is obvious that the earth is bowl-shaped and
> no matter where you stand you are standing at the bottom. (kind of a
> reverse Foucault's pendulum).
>
> Is the obvious bowl-shaped universe somehow tied in with Buddhism? I
> hope so, or this missive is off-topic!

There would be no horizon if the earth's surface were bowl-shaped -
unless that horizon truly marked the literal edge of the earth's
surface. Additionally, if you climb even a modest hill you will find
that you can see further (the horizon receds further into the distance.
These two simple observations are all the empirical evidence needed to
conclusively disprove of the bowl shaped earth theory.

- Curt