[Buddha-l] Historical vs Psychological Religious Narratives

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 13:23:26 MDT 2007

Gang,

Regarding truth claims and historical rootedness, Richard mentions,

> For many (perhaps most Christians) the Biblical narratives, especially
> those
> concerning the crucifixion and resurrection, are of vital importance;
> if they
> were fictitious stories serving as vehicles for some great ideas,
> something
> indispensable would be missing.

The Abrahamic religions are all centrally concerned with
Heilsgeschichte, the history of the inbreaking of the divine into the
world. Christianity adds another dimension of historical concern, since
it must focus on the physical incarnation of the divine in the human.
For the central Christian dogma that Christ has redeemed the world to
be valid, this remarkable narrative, in my own view, not just "should"
but MUST have historical validity. Marginal forms of Christianity have
taught that this narrative can be metaphorically extended to a notion
of the incarnation being what Mahayanists might call the "Christ
Nature" in all of us. In this case, the Redemption is not
a fait accompli, but a process of mutual sacralization of the world
akin to the unending path of bodhisattvas awakening along with all
beings. It is here (again in my opinion) that Buddhist-Christian
dialogue is most fruitful on the theological level.

The basic point here is that the Abrahamic religions traditionally
self-identify as religions of history, that is, their narratives are
rooted in the revelation of God in specific places to (and perhaps in)
specific persons and cultures. Such revelations (and their historical
veridicality) are inseparable from the religions. Without the history,
no Judaism, no Christianity, no Islam.

(Of course I wonder how much Stan Ziobro and Dan Lusthaus and others
will agree with my sweeping generalizations here.)

Richard then comments,

> I cannot think of any narrative in Buddhism
> that would be indispensable in quite the same way.

Agreed, so long as by "any narrative" you mean something like
"historical narrative in the canon." I say this because there is at
least one core narrative that remains indispensable in Buddhism. You
mention it yourself, it is the narrative contained within the Four
Noble Truths. It is a psychological or ontological narrative, rather
than a historical one, but it emphatically IS a narrative. We suffer.
That suffering is caused by our clinging, which in turn is caused by
our ignorance. We follow the Eightfold Path. We cease to suffer.

I would add that *some* forms of Buddhism--notably the Zen tradition
and the lineage-focused forms of Vajrayana--do in fact cleave to
historical narratives of awakening and, should these narratives be
shown to be false, lose their institutional authority. One thing
fascinating about contemporary Western Zen practice is that this has
happened and yet many folks go on practicing without the belief in the
unbroken transmission narrative. Focus now falls squarely on the
narrative of teacher and student, rather than on the narrative of the
teacher's awakening and authority. To show my age, I comment, "Right
on!"

Franz