[Buddha-l] Doxastic minimalism (was: flat earth?)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu May 17 19:44:07 MDT 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007 16:31, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> from the little of what I know,  Freemasonry is involved with rituals
> until the excess.

Well, yes. But so what? I don't think anyone in this discussion has said
anything about rituals, either for or against. I personally have no
objections to ritual at all. Hell, I even shake hands with some people.

I think the point I was trying to make about my own familial heritage is that
of the six ancestors I mentioned, at least five were seriously dedicated to
being freethinkers. Freedom in allowing people to think as they please is a
hallmark of Freemasonry, Unitarianism, Universalism, and generic liberal
small-p protestantism. Atheism is much more dogmatic, but I seem to have
escaped that influence in favor of agnosticism. As for Christian Science, I
know hardly anything about that. All I know is that my grandmother almost
died as a child and had a seemingly miraculous recovery when a bunch of
Christian Scientists in Kansas prayed for her, and she spent the rest of her
life thinking maybe she owed her life to the power of prayer. Maybe she was
right. Or maybe it was just being in Kansas that saved her. Whatever the
truth of the matter may have been, she never tried to foist her beliefs off
on anyone else and seemed quite happy baking cookies for anybody, no matter
what they believed. I'm not sure if it was being from Kansas that made her
like that, or being a farm girl, or being married to a Freemason or being the
grandmother of a future Buddhist. It's one of the many things about which I
have no opinion.

> The point is when the philosophical suppression of rebirth can be so
> wrong as the kamma suppression for the people who are using them.

Nobody that I know off is talking about suppressing anything. As far as I can
tell, most of us who don't think much in terms of traditional Buddhist mythic
categories find other mythic substitutions. So the campaign (insofar as there
is one at all) is not at all about getting rid of either rituals or
mythology. Rather, it's about giving people all the latitude they need to
find the rituals and myths they personally find helpful. That's all.

> Anyway, if now you go to an Italian event, I hope you will see yourself
> succumbing to some gnocchi ritual to validate with your own experience.

I've been to a few Italian weddings before. Both of my children married
Italians. Italian weddings are a lot of fun. At least 1000 people show up,
all of them somehow related to the bride, and people eat until their eyes
cross, and the next morning at least fifteen drunks are found in the swimming
pool. Of course, when I go anywhere, I studiously observe the precepts and
sit off in a corner being mindful. That's my favorite ritual.

--
Richard Hayes