[Buddha-l] Doxastic minimalism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri May 18 01:56:21 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes schreef:
> I wrote about Vicente Gonzlaes's claim that many people are nowadays trying to
> find a Buddhism without Buddhism:
>

>> Many? I can't think of even one, with the possible exception of Toni
>> Packer.
>>

> In response, Vicente Gonzalez cited an article signed by our very own Erik
> Hoogcarspel:
>

>> http://www.thinkbuddha.org/article/3/buddhism-without-buddhism
>>
>> "Buddhism Without Buddhism: a resolutely irreligious Buddhism; a
>> Buddhism that is rooted in human meanings rather than in fantasies of
>> the sacred; a Buddhism that is pervaded by a thoroughgoing
>> this-wordliness: it is, perhaps, an impossible thing to hope for. But
>> at the same time, I find the idea extraordinarily attractive, it has
>> become a touch-stone for how I think about Buddhism. But with a
>> question mark at the end, just for good measure…"

Thanks for the credits, but only the last paragraph were my words. The writer causes the confusion because he doesn't care to put his name under the article.
I 'm not very thrilled about the exprtession 'Buddhism without Buddhism', because it reminds me of wine without grapes or even worse: Buckler. This is maybe a Dutch thing. A Dutch standup comedian once succeeded in getting Buckler off the shelves in one very famous show, where he identified the typical Buckler drinker as what I would call a mixture of mr. Bean, George Bush and All Bundy, in short as the present President of the Netherlands. So I suggest the 'selfpractice' coined by the philosopher Michel Foucualt and short for the antique expression 'taking care of oneself'. Buddhism as a selfpractice puts it in the same category as Stoa, Cynics and so on.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
products: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio