[Buddha-l] Historical vs Psychological Religious Narratives

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri May 18 08:14:05 MDT 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007 01:37, Joy Vriens wrote:

> And we know that the Eightfold Path is the proper way to end suffering, not
> because we have walked it all the way til the end of suffering, but because
> we know the Buddha did and said it was.

That may be true for some, but for many confidence in the eightfold path comes
from noticing improvements in one's life as a result of following the path.
One need not believe that there will be an end of pain; it is sufficient to
know that there has been, and continues to be, an incremental reduction.

--
Richard