[Buddha-l] What Batcehlor actually said

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri May 18 12:11:25 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:
> Dr Curtis Steinmetz wrote:
>

>> It is a common misconception that "until recently religions maintained
>> that the earth was flat." ("Buddhism Without Beliefs" p. 35)
>>

> Just for the sake of completeness, here is the entire paragraph from which the
> phrase above was taken. It may be worth noting that the paragraph appears in
> a chapter entitled "Rebirth."

I would be very interested to know what Richard thinks the significance
of the context is in this case. It would seem to me that Batchelor just
drops this little chestnut down in order to help prop up the overall
view that Religion is the Arch-enemy of Reason. The fact that this is
what Batchelor presents as his evidence lends support to my suspicion
that Batchelor merely BELIEVES IN a fantasy the fantasy of a long
twilight struggle between Good (Reason) and Evil (Religion). The fact is
that no such struggle exists and that this belief relies on a skewed (if
all too common) version of history that conflicts with readily available
and well documented facts.

And just for the record, please note that I quoted Batchelor's exact
words in my first post - and provided the page number of the book that
the quote was taken from. Richard's subject heading is therefore
intentionally misleading.

- Curt