[Buddha-l] Doxastic minimalism (was: flat earth?)

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Fri May 18 13:22:14 MDT 2007

JWB et al.,

I don't mean to sell (all) American dharma teachers short. Sorry if I
gave that impression. In fact, I think the anecdotes you, JWB, tell
about Shrobe Roshi and Aitken Roshi jibe well with my observation that
American Zen students are letting go of their traditional view of their
tradition. After all, who is encouraging them to do that? Their
teachers (and the cultures of their practice communities). I don't know
Shrobe, but there's no way in saha that Aitken Roshi believes in an
unbroken lineage of Buddha mind, and no way he'd lean on it for an
unearned authority. I've never met a Zen teacher who commanded more
authority in person than Aitken Roshi, without effort and without
recourse to tradition. If I ever sell Aitken Roshi short, please sic
your spam filter on me.

Analogizing to the way Zen teachers can encourage students to believe
and yet not believe the ancient narratives, JWB wrote,

> How many Zen students does it take to change a lightbulb?
> Two: one to change the lightbulb and one to not change the lightbulb….

Very good. There is room for all of us in the dharma hall. But to
capture the paradoxical nature of this sort of belief, how about...
Four: one to change the lightbulb, one to not change the lightbulb, one
to both change and not change the lightbulb, and one to neither change
nor not change the lightbulb.

I believe I fit into that last category, but I have ambitions to move
up to the third.

Franz