[Buddha-l] Historical vs Psychological Religious Narratives

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Fri May 18 13:37:19 MDT 2007

Gang,

Leigh Goldstein wrote,

> My experience with Buddhists raised in Buddhist cultures, rather than
> Western converts, is that the truth of historical narratives can be
> more
> important to them.

So I've experienced as well. Come to think of it, this parallels what I
asserted about "marginal" Christians. So you are right that Buddhists
raised in Buddhist cultures (a good definition of the term "mainstream
Buddhists") hold to the historical narratives. And Buddhists raised in
non-Buddhist cultures (that's us "marginal Buddhists," and rightly so)
let them go.

Their comparably eccentric or marginalized cultural positions are yet
another reason we see such overlap (and not just on this list) among
Quakers and Universalists and Western convert Buddhists.

Franz