[Buddha-l] on karma

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Tue May 22 00:53:41 MDT 2007

W.F.Wong wrote:

>Again: we need to separate two things. First, the Rinpoche is trying to
>encourage people to do good (albeit because one wants a better rebirth).
>Second, no where did the Rinpoche said, "the starving child in Africa
>therefore deserves it and we should write him off".

>At best I find these examples distasteful but certainly not an example of
>"believe in karma = do nothing about social injustice".

>How things are is one thing. What you choose to do about it is another.

I think the following quote (including the tone) speaks very clearly. His belief dictates his world vision. If you think it doesn't, let me know and we can have a discussion.

 "Did anyone force them to be reborn there? Did someone say, "Now you must be reborn in a place in Africa where you will starve to death"? No, no one forces living beings to be reborn in this way. The fact that people are born into such circumstances is because of lacking merit."

Joy