[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue May 22 09:19:12 MDT 2007

With due respect, I submit that more than one thing can be said about
anything, including this topic.

The fact that some view is widespread in the world lends it no credence,
seems to me, because the world is stocked with zillions of erroneous and
indeed wrong ideas.

But what nobody has ventured to comment on so far, in this response to
Victoria’s article, is the concept of collective karma. One example of how

it makes sense to me: that would be neo-liberalism’s rationale ( an idea
widespread in the world of giant corporations) of unlimited economic
development, under circumstances where corporations that subscribe to this
view are instead contributing to ever-greater impoverishment and
environmental destruction which will, of course, end up affecting them as
well.

Comments anyone?

Joanna

This seems to me to be rather extraordinary cultural arrogance. How

can a view which is so widespread in the world be simply dismissed as

'a very peculiar view of the world' ?

……..One thing can be said:

Theravada monks (and probably teachers in other traditions too) tend

to talk about people as experiencing the results of their deeds when

they feel that the listener needs more equanimity. If they feel that

more loving-kindness or compassion is needed, they talk in other ways.

Either can deteriorate - whether into cold unfeelingness or into

yucky sentimentality.

Lance Cousins

buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com

Checked by AVG Free Edition.