[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue May 22 12:36:12 MDT 2007

Erik,

>Good point, Lance, it would be nice if we could divide our life into
>semiotic compartments and hop from one to another as we please. We
>live however in a world without semiotic walls which is ruled by
>science and common sense. How long would a Buddhism last that is
>contra science and common sense? Do people who hold on to such a
>Buddhism save the dharma or undermine it?

Personally, I took up Buddhism in the first place because I found the
teachings on kamma and rebirth attractive.

What I do find contrary to common-sense is any attempt to reduce the
mind to the body. So for me these teachings are not at all
problematic. I don't se such issues as within the purview of science.

Lance Cousins