[Buddha-l] RE: Article of possible interest--correction

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:53:57 MDT 2007

Jackhat1 wrote:

Jac> My playing sports has helped me gain a modest understanding of
Jac> this. Playing basketball, to use one example, requires an open,
Jac> relaxed body and mind--getting out of one's own way is one way of
Jac> phrasing it. During a game one relaxes into the situation and is
Jac> passive in one sense and active in another.

that's truth. And maybe you agree when one is playing just for fun,
then the victory works as a motivation to develop a good play.
Not pursuing the victory in itself in a obsessive way, which is
destructive both for happiness and the good play.

In the social action it is a frequent critique to some ecology
activists. Some groups are obsessed to get results and new laws,
while others say the first problem is changing our culture about
Nature. In example, it is not possible demanding protection for red
tuna when industry is not shameful to manufacture neither fishers to
capture, and also we are not shameful to ask for that in restaurants.

Where is the final of this chain? A defilement, because we cannot find
pleasure in eating more vegetables despite it is absolutely a mind
problem. When one don't eat nothing in two days, any apple can be felt
like the more delicious food of the world

Jac> Social action, in my opinion, requires this same freedom from
Jac> the  defilements. One has to be passive in one sense and active
Jac> in another. What is  it the Taoists say, the perfect man does
Jac> nothing and everything gets done.

I agree. In the ecology example, it is about culture and education
to can be free of this defilement. Pleasure in itself is not inside
the fish or apple. When reaching this state, there is nothing special
to do and all can would be solved in a natural way.
Restaurants and high-cuissine of this world they can present apples in
sophisticated ways... maybe apple-sushi or many other new things.
We know the marketing machine can convert some of them in a complete
luxury, and the same fools now can exhibit their exclusive apple-sushi
made with Japanese apples from mountain X with exorbitant prices, etc..
Well, there is not any difficult to satisfy the stupid mind.

Unfortunately, pursuing the Tao is not popular, and our mass media and
marketing machine they are educating us for the contrary behavior.
However, it is not the only way to conceive economics and market.
When arrive the time in where there is not tuna for everybody, then
our governments must apply laws. In that moment appear a lot of
rejection, a black market, even the fascination to get a new difficult
thing. From here we have the corruption at any level and finally a
new business still more difficult to eradicate.

Well, thanks for you insights. I think they are in the right direction.
Also, because now I have the idea to cook sushi using apples in some
nice way to satisfy my own stupidity. I will communicate my results.

best regards,