[Buddha-l] Article of possible interest

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Wed May 23 10:46:47 MDT 2007

Joy,

>  >>  In fact, what made something unorthodox in the Catholic tradition
>>>was a direct experience of God, without the intermediairy of Christ
>>>and outside the traditional means that the church offered. As long
>>>as one respects that rule, one has the right to become as mad as a
>>>hatter.
>
>>This rather extreme formulation really applies to the situation from
>>the 17th century (Quietists etc.) and is in part a reaction to the
>>Protestant attack.
>
>Well, what did the church condemn in Protestantism ? What were
>Eckhart and Marguerite Porete condemned for?

I was thinking specifically of mysticism, not of religious movements
generally. I would see early Protestantism as mainly a kind of
fundamentalism, challenging the authority of the Church.

Eckhart is an interesting illustration. His writings were not
condemned until after his death. And they might well not have been,
had he been alive to defend them.

Marguerite Porete and others supposedly belonging to the Brethren of
the Free Spirit are another matter. But I doubt that it was her ideas
that led to her condemnation so much as the type of paranoia that
invented accusations against the Jews and others.

>  >I was thinking of the period around the third century when
>>Neoplatonism was very much the dominant tradition. Were there any
>>Neoplatonists who didn't believe in reincarnation ?
>
>I don't know about their personal beliefs but their general theories
>didn't live or die by the belief in "reincarnation" or the lack
>thereof. Besides their idea of "reincarnation" is rather a byproduct
>of gradual purification/refinement or "desincarnation".

true.

>  >>I am pretty distrustful of correct memories of childhood. I am not
>>>sure correct memories exist. How does one correctly revive something
>>>that is gone?
>
>>There is a description of how to do this in Achaan Brahm's latest book :-)
>
>Can you give a hint without spoiling the plot of the book? :-)

Basically you enter a state he claims is jhaana with the aim of
remembering past lives. On emerging you remember something. He talks
about the kind of thing that happens.

Lance