[Buddha-l] Doxastic minimalism (was: flat earth?)

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 18:39:33 MDT 2007

The good bishop, needless to say, disagrees with the conclusions
of the Jesus Seminar.

For instance, see: _The Resurrection of Jesus: John Dominic
Crossan And N.T. Wright in Dialogue_ by Robert B. Stewart.

I for one have found Crossan, Borg, and Funk a welcome breath of
fresh air into historical Christianity.

Speaking of open-mindedness, I found the Disciples of Christ to
be wonderfully open-minded. I suspect some have a very
broad-minded view of Christianity. Kind people, in my experience.

Buddhist content: I like Batchelor's approach to Bsm. w/o
Beliefs. Sort of. He's taking baby steps, anyway, but even that
seems to have raised the dander of quite a few.

There's a place for beliefs, rituals, and the like, but not
because-I-told-you-so authority, nor
we've-always-done-it-that-way. There's always a lot of that in
any institution, or culture for that matter.

Buddhism has its garbage as much as any "spiritual system." Very
few like to talk about garbage, though, and usually get labeled
"nay-sayers" at best, "traitors" at worst..

Michael

--- Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

[snip pre- and post-]

> I don't know how many readers of buddha-l are right-wing enough
to read  Newsweek magazine, but some of you may have seen this
week's
issue. There is  an interesting article on the Pope's latest
book, "Jesus of
> Nazareth". In that  article there was a quote (on page 45) by
N.T. Wright, the Anglican Bishop of  Durham, speaking on the
historicity of some of the events narrated in the  Bible.

> \begin{quote}
> It's not just about ideas, or people's imaginations. If they
didn't happen,
you might still have interesting ideas, but it wouldn't be
Christianity at
> the end of the day.
 \end{quote}

> That quotation by Bishop Wright (whom I have met and spoken
with briefly)  helped me see an important way in which Buddhism
differs from
Christianity  (or at least how my Buddhism differs from his
Christianity).