[Buddha-l] Shamatha book--clarification

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 19:29:42 MDT 2007

Don't know about Santerians, but I suspect they're not suffering
any crises. It's a fairly tight folk tradition, not so subject to
attacks of existential angst.

Wiccans, however, have been worried about identity for a long
time, especially after  the rise of "American Wicca," as opposed
to Gardnerian Wicca, of British origin. Long story there...

Which "Trad" (i.e., sect) is valid, true, authentic, effective,
etc. has been a source of contention for the longest.

Some modern " voodoo" folks do seem to have similar issues. Seems
to come down to money, since charms, etc. are a business. And, of
course, over the Internet as well.

Just plain Neo-Pagans don't seem to be too wound up, though.

Buddhist content: Wiccans and Neo-Pagans in general are usually
pretty big on reincarnation.

Michael

--- jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> Everybody is totally hung up on "identity" these days: Muslims,
Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Christians....maybe even Santeria-ists,
dunno.

[snip]

>Too many people have been so brainwashed by branding in the
consumer economies of today, that they must at all costs work out
some group identity for themselves or their own little group.
Ergo, continual dukkha.