[Buddha-l] neurophysiology/neuroscience

S.A. Feite sfeite at adelphia.net
Fri May 25 05:21:22 MDT 2007

On May 25, 2007, at 12:31 AM, jkirk wrote:

> Thanks for all your posts, one of which I didn't understand at all
> (about gammas etc.) However, I do intend to read this Wallace book.
> Joanna

It was about EEG coherence in Buddhist meditators. There was a recent
study which was published in a prestigious journal which was highly
praised as it was really the first study to validate one of the key
neurological signatures for samadhi: high amplitude gamma wave EEG.

While EEG coherence has been used as a selling point by McMeditation
marketeers like Transcendental Meditation, this was really
significant alpha coherence, a very common everyday type of brain
coherence.

A nice overall review of neuroelectrical and other scientific
findings on meditation is pending publication in the _Cambridge
Handbook of Consciousness_ which will likely end up being the first
real textbook on consciousness research. The section on the
neurophysiology of meditation is available pre-publication of the
textbook as _Meditation and the Neuroscience of Consciousness_ (by
Antoine Lutz, John D. Dunne, Richard J. Davidson).

-Steve