[Buddha-l] Re: Shiva, the return!

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Fri May 25 13:29:13 MDT 2007

Weng Fai et al.,

You wrote,

> Apparently, the mother, on seeing what her kid did, grab the kid and
> left - without informing anyone.
>
> What do you think is the karma on the mother and child? Which plane
> will they be reborn to?

I asked myself the same question. (Of course I asked it as the parent
of a nearly three year old with a distinct independent streak.) I could
so easily see myself in that mother's situation. I reckon I'd have to
throw myself down in 100,000 prostrations on the floor of the local
Tibetan temple. She, on the other hand, does indeed look like she's
skulking off. I wonder what hell realm she's already in. As for the
kid, it's more complicated, but there's no question in my mind he was
consciously destroying what he knew was complex and beautiful. This is
why the Buddha taught us no to reproduce.

Franz