[Buddha-l] Shamatha book--clarification

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Fri May 25 17:32:56 MDT 2007

Curt,

Aha! I have a more coherent interpretation to your send-off:

>> And now he's not merely facing the fact that what he reviled is, in
>> fact, deep and vital; he's actually *using* it to critically better
>> himself and the culture he sprung from.
>
> The phrase "I Love Big Brother" comes to mind.

You're saying that Batchelor's re-identification with what he reviled
is much like Winston Smith's tragic fate. So it is not Batchelor who is
Big Brother, but, hmmm let's call him John Bull or Uncle Sam or, well,
Big Brother. Very well, but this still leaves a (longed-for) bullet in
Batchelor's brain. Unless your own disgust with the various cultures of
the West is so great that you see any educated reappropriation of their
strengths as a metaphorical suicide, I don't see why you find Batchelor
so doubleplusungood.

Mandatory Buddhist content: We are the dead.

Franz