[Buddha-l] Can Buddhism "evolve"?

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Fri May 25 19:18:35 MDT 2007

Indian Buddhism did *evolve* in China, and Japan, and Tibet.
Chinese Buddhism tried to be Indian, but ultimately it was not Indian
Buddhism.
American Buddhists may try to identify with the traditions of their
Ch'an, Zen, or Tantric founders, but I suspect American Buddhism will
not be Japanese, Chinese, or Tibetan.
But it may take a a few hundred years to evolve (I hope we have a few
hundred years).