[Buddha-l] Back to the core values?

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun May 27 15:18:09 MDT 2007

I was suggesting that what the sutras say may or may not be identical to
the original teachings of the Buddha, the founder (as the four gospels
may or may not be identical to the teachings of the founder). Are the
Buddhist sutras more historically accurate than the Christian gospels?

Buddhologists date sutras and stick to those most likely to be earliest
in our attempt to reconstruct the founder's words.
Then we stress certain aspects and minimize others when we write books,
or teach the ideas to students.

Certainly each and every school of Buddhism, past and present, claims to
be the teachings of the founder; but they are not all compatible.
Theravada, Madhyamika, Pure Land, Vajrayana, Ch'an.
My personal belief is that I doubt that it is possible to reconstruct
precisely and exactly what the founder taught.
Some teachings are pretty obviously traceable back. Did he teach Dukkha?
Of course. Pratityasamutpada? I certainly think so. Did he teach the
Four Noble Truths? I believe this is more controversial. Did he teach
anicca? Sure. Did he teach momentariness? Not so sure.
Bob