[Buddha-l] Shamatha book--clarification

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sun May 27 18:45:39 MDT 2007

That's very true, Jack, about how each of us preaches his own religion,
every lama his teaching.
As Ajahn Brahm once said, in answer to the question on how many schools of
Buddhism there are,
that there are only two kind of Buddhism: yours and mine.

The point is that we should not only be open-minded, but our actions should
be conducive somehow
to inner stillness. The waves we make shows what kind of rock we are: oh
yes, all rocks sink
to the bottom.

Including this one.

Piya Tan

On 5/28/07, Jackhat1 at aol.com <Jackhat1 at aol.com> wrote:

>  In a message dated 5/27/2007 11:54:15 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> Jackhat1 at aol.com writes:
>
>  The key word (already emphasized by Chris) is "deliberately". Often
> people who are interested in such deliberations are fond of
> "evolutionary" metaphors ("Buddhism must evolve" - or some such
> nonsense).
>
>  ====
> I interpret Batchelor to say we should de-evolve Buddhism back to the core
> values taught by the Buddha
>
>  Adding to what I said above, it has been interesting to me what people in
> all religions take as the baseline interpretation of their religion. This
> baseline seems to be an arbitrary point among the many variations of that
> religion as found in different times and cultures. Picking this baseline
> seems to be solely a function of their personal values and hang-ups.
>
> Jack

The Minding Centre
Singapore 650644
Website: dharmafarer.googlepages.com