[Buddha-l] Back to the core values?

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun May 27 23:07:44 MDT 2007

The issue of a revealed religion seems unrelated to the issue of
"returning to the original teachings."

curt wrote:

> Not to mention the fact that the idea of "returning to the original
> teachings" only makes sense in the context of a "revealed" religion.
> Obviously.

If I am a Neo-Platonist follower of Plotinus, and want to return back to
the original teachings of Plato, then Plato it follows that Plato
started a "revealed religion"?
If I am a contemporary Thomist, and want to return to the original
teachings of Thomas Aquinas, I must assume that Aquinas provided
revelations?
If I practice Vajrayana, but wish to return to the original teachings of
Nagarjuna BEFORE all the different and differing commentarial
explanations, then Nagarjuna must be providing a revealed religion?

I can see that these might be understood as revelation, but I can just
as easily see that "returning to the original teachings" is simply an
attempt to tease out the actual words or ideas of the founder.

Perhaps you are suggesting that the "original teachings" must be inerrant?
I believe it is an entirely different issue to ask "is the founder
completely correct in every statement that the founder made?"

This seems to raise the question: could the Buddha have been wrong or
mistaken in any statement he made, or mistaken in his understanding of
anything?

Bob