[Buddha-l] Back to the core values?

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Mon May 28 03:52:09 MDT 2007

Hi Lance,

>The centrality of the Sangha seems clear for Indian Buddhism for the
>first thousand years of its development both in non-Mahaayaana and
>Mahaayaana contexts. And, in India at least, it only diminishes a
>little after that.

What is your idea about theories like these ones that one reads here and there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinoceros_Sutra

What was really new in the idea of a Buddhist Sangha to which people "converted"? As has been mentioned, most Bhikkhus were already "Bhikkhus". Couldn't the first conversions have simply been the decision to travel together (congregate)? In that sens the Sangha (the fact to be together) is indeed central to the development and survival of the thusly constituted group. But was there anything else to its centrality (in early early Buddhism)? I can easily see how it becomes central as soon as a lay community constitutes itself around a community of Bhikkus, for whom the service and support of the community becomes central as a practice. Am I missing anythin here?

Joy