[Buddha-l] Back to the core values? -- and origins

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue May 29 10:58:18 MDT 2007

Curt,

>As far as the earliest known texts are concerned, isn't it true that
>there are Mahayana texts that are just as early as the earliest Pali
>texts? Here I am speaking of actual physical texts, ie, manuscripts.
>This would suggest that there IS a possible parallel to the Gospel
>of Thomas.

At the moment I am not aware of any Mahaayaana texts as old as the
first century A.D. There are a number of non-Mahaayaana fragments of
texts from that century. However, scholarly rumour suggests that
there may be one fragment of an early Mahaayaanist text about to
surface. We shall have to see.

But this misses the point. The Pali texts were transmitted orally for
several centuries before the first century B.C. or so. So naturally
there are no early Buddhist manuscripts. There is no reason to
suggest that Mahaayaana texts were transmitted this way. The claim is
rather that they were preserved in other realms by non-human beings.

Lance Cousins