[Buddha-l] Back to the core values? -- and origins

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue May 29 11:48:13 MDT 2007

curt wrote:

> As far as the earliest known texts are concerned, isn't it true that
> there are Mahayana texts that are just as early as the earliest Pali
> texts? Here I am speaking of actual physical texts, ie, manuscripts.
> This would suggest that there IS a possible parallel to the Gospel of
> Thomas.

AFAIK the earliest known physical texts seem to be some of the Gāndhārī
manuscripts from Afghanistan written in Kharoṣṭhī script. - The earliest of
which have been date to the 1st century CE. [Gāndhārī  was a Middle Indo-Aryan
Prakrit, used in ancient Gāndhāra, a region which lies in parts of modern-day
Afghanistan and north-western Pakistan.] - These are apparently not only the
oldest known Buddhist manuscripts but also the earliest known manuscripts in
an Indic language.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandharan_Buddhist_Texts>
<http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/ebmpintro.php>
<http://www.washington.edu/research/showcase/1996a.html>