[Buddha-l] Back to the core values? -- and origins

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Tue May 29 13:17:55 MDT 2007

Thanks Chris.
I've heard stories of the memorizing abilities of people in an oral
culture, but you're the first person I've known who actually knew such
people (however, with contemporary monks I assume they are memorizing
texts that they read and not just words that they heard?).
It is a shame that we don't have tripitaka collections for all (or any)
of the other early schools; then we could see if there were genuine
variations in their "memories of the words of the founder" and how many
variations there were (if any).
Bob