[Buddha-l] Back to the core values?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed May 30 20:28:15 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:

> I have had several long discussions with Batchelor about this very point. As
> you well know, I prefer using the term "skepticism" to characterize my
> approach to Buddhism, and I have notoriously argued that such critters as the
> Buddha, Nagasena, Nagarjuna, and Dignaga are very much like skeptics. My
> claim is that the word "skeptical", which means inquisitive (not to be
> confused with inquisitional), has more positive connotations than
> does "agnosticism," which lays etymological stress on absence of knowing.
> Batchelor and I seem to think we are in substantial agreement with each
> other, and that our preferences for different words is a matter of no real
> consequence.
>
> So the lesson for you (and anyone, I think) is to let yourself be influenced
> by how authors say they are using words, especially when they take pains to
> explain them. If you approach any text with the attitude that words have
> fixed meanings and cannot be used in different ways, then few texts will
> yield anything sensible to you. Insisting that the word "agnosticism" must
> mean precisely the stance that Batchelor takes pains to reject, and that
> therefore Batchelor is advocating the very thing he claims to be rejecting,
> is to take a stance so perverse as to be  counterproductive. If you read any
> other Buddhist text with such a lack of empathy and charity as you read
> Batchelor, you would surely find the entire Buddhist edifice of teachings
> pointless and ineffectual.

Perhaps if there is confusion about what Batchelor means by Agnosticism
at least part of the blame belongs to Batchelor himself. He begins his
chapter on "Agnosticism" (in "Buddhism Without Beliefs") by citing the
parable of the arrow (which might be the earliest known instance of a
straw man argument - maybe that's why Batchelor is so fond of it). Then
having cited the parable of the arrow Batchelor proceeds to discuss not
agnosticism, but .... "religion". "Religion" is Batchelor's own straw
man, without which his "agnosticism" is pointless. Agnosticism, for
Batchelor, is the solution to the problem of "religion".

But what is this "religion" of which Batchelor speaks? It is simply what
the Romans used to call "superstition". And it is well known (and was
readily admitted by the Romans) that "superstition" is simply any and
all beliefs that one happens to dislike. Batchelor sets up evil
"religion" as the foil to his heroic "agnosticism" - who saves us from
"religion". Batchelor "defines" agnosticism as the absence of
"religion", the absence of "esoteric doctrines", the absence of
"worship", the absence of "institutionalization", the absence of
"mysticism", the absence of "creed". We readily sense that "religion",
"esoteric", "doctrine", "worship", "institutionalization", "mysticism"
and "creed" are all words that Batchelor dislikes - but he does not
provide any information about what he means by these words - other than
that they are bad words for bad things.

Batchelor's only clear statement about "agnosticism" is when he quotes
Huxley (more or less):

"For T.H. Huxley, who coined the term in 1896, agnosticism was as
demanding as any moral, philosophical, or religious creed. Rather than a
creed, though, he saw it as a *method* realized through 'the rigorous
application of a single principle.' He expressed this principle
positively as: "Follow your reason as far as it will take you," and
negatively as: "Do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are
not demonstrated or demonstrable.' This principle runs through the
Western tradition: from Socrates, via the Reformation and the
Enlightenment, to the axioms of modern science. Huxley called it the
'agnostic faith'." (BWB p. 17)

Here is what Huxley "really said":

"Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of
which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle. That
principle is of great antiquity; it is as old as Socrates; as old as the
writer who said, 'Try all things, hold fast by that which is good' it is
the foundation of the Reformation, which simply illustrated the axiom
that every man should be able to give a reason for the faith that is in
him; it is the great principle of Descartes; it is the fundamental axiom
of modern science. Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters
of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without
regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the
intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not
demonstrated or demonstrable." (see Huxley's essay "Agnosticism" here:
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/huxley/CE5/Agn.html ).

Batchelor excises of the phrase "in matters of the intellect" (twice!),
as well as the reference to Descartes, and Batchelor attempts to take
the sting out of Huxley's grotesque embrace of the Protestant
Reformation by adding "the Enlightenment", which Huxley never mentions.
And then there is that interesting phrase: "Try all things, hold fast by
that which is good" - which turns out be a quote from the fifth chapter
of Saint Paul's first epistle to the Thessalonians (5:21 -
http://scripturetext.com/1_thessalonians/5-21.htm ).

In this epistle, Paul does in fact endorse a kind of agnosticism. Paul
tells us that we should be "agnostic" (he does not actually use that
word, of course) with respect to the timing of the (second) coming of
the Lord. Since we cannot be sure of when that event will occur, we
should simply prepare for it now. But I'll let Paul speak for himself
(by way of the Revised Standard Version):

1 Now as to the times and the epochs, brethren, you have no need of
anything to be written to you.
2 For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come
just like a thief in the night.
3 While they are saying, "Peace and safety!" then destruction will come
upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they
will not escape.
4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake
you like a thief;
5 for you are all sons of light and sons of day We are not of night nor
of darkness;
6 so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober.
7 For those who sleep do their sleeping at night, and those who get
drunk get drunk at night.
8 But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the
breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation.
9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation
through our Lord Jesus Christ,
10 who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live
together with Him.
11 Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you
also are doing.
12 But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who
diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and
give you instruction,
13 and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work.
Live in peace with one another.
14 We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the
fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek
after that which is good for one another and for all people.
16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;
18 in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ
Jesus.
19 Do not quench the Spirit;
20 do not despise prophetic utterances.
21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;
22 abstain from every form of evil.
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your
spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the
coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.
25 Brethren, pray for us.
26 Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss.
27 I adjure you by the Lord to have this letter read to all the brethren.
28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Amen,

Curt

P.S. Please note that "examine everything carefully; hold fast to that
which is good" is said with particular reference to "prophetic
utterances" which are not to be "despised."