[Buddha-l] Written and oral traditions.

Timothy C. Cahill tccahill at loyno.edu
Thu May 31 15:02:15 MDT 2007

>> I find their proof fairly conclusive.

> Just out of curiosity, which of Witzel's arguments do you find most
> compelling?

Dear Lance, Richard, and the rest,

    I too find the arguments advanced by Farmer and Witzel quite
convincing.  Their "one-sentence refutation of the Indus-Script Myth" is
very clear:

"No ancient literate civilizations are known  not even those that wrote
extensively on perishable materials  that didn't also leave long texts
behind on durable materials."

    They go on to provide what is for me pretty compelling evidence:

"Despite the fact that the Indus system was around for at least 700 years
(and arguably much longer), with 'inscriptions' (if that's the right word)
found on thousands of objects, the longest Indus 'text' on a single
surface is 17 signs long*, and the average has under 4.6 signs  as
expected in many nonlinguistic sign systems."

Of course, if I knew more about the Indus Valley and its material culture
I might not be so easy to convince.  The circumstantial 'evidence' is also
kind of persuasive: despite hundreds of attempts to decipher the IVC
"script" *no one* has been able to do much of anything with it.  (E.g., A.
Parpola's work is as admirably organized and meticulous as it is
unsuccessful!)  It makes sense to me that many, many language wizards
could make no headway here for the simple reason that the signs are not a
true script, i.e., they don't encode a language.

Obligatory Buddhist content: Some of the descendents of those who were
able to navigate their way productively through this sign-system might
have met early followers of the Buddha.

    For the $10,000 challenge issued by Farmer and Witzel see:
http://www.safarmer.com/indus/prize.html
This page also includes the .pdf file titled: "The Collapse of the
Indus-Script Thesis: The Myth of a Literate Harappan Civilization."

best,
Tim Cahill