[Buddha-l] FW: Soteriology of universals

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Thu Oct 18 01:53:05 MDT 2007

Joanna,

>"Mystai and bakchoi are initiates into the mysteries of Eleusis and Dionysus
>respectively (Cole 201)"
>
>I thought bakchoi was Chinese cabbage :)

"The procession to Eleusis began at Kerameikos (the Athenian cemetery) on the 19th Boedromion from where the people walked to Eleusis, along what was called the "Sacred Way", swinging branches called bacchoi. At a certain spot along the way, they shouted obscenities in commemoration of Iambe (or Baubo), an old woman who, by cracking dirty jokes, had made Demeter smile as she mourned the loss of her daughter. The procession also shouted "Iakch' o Iakche!," referring to Iacchus, possibly an epithet for Dionysus, or a separate deity, son of Persephone or Demeter."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleusinian_Mysteries

"In the Eleusinian Mysteries, the bakchoi were the branches that initiates carried during their procession along the Sacred Way, the twenty-one kilometer hike from Athens to Eleusis. (Homo necans, p. 306 f.)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacchoi

Joy