[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 22 11:01:13 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 11:25 -0400, mc1 at aol.com wrote:
>

>> But deep sleep is what? Sankara says Consciousness (with a tricky
>> difference). His evidence is waking up with the memory of a good
>> sleep. Thus memory = Consciousness. How might Madhayamika relate
>> Emptiness to this model?
>>

> Emptiness has no connection at all with the four-stage model of
> Sankara's interpretation of the upanishads. Emptiness means nothing more
> nor less than the fact of being conditioned. Seeing the emptiness of
> something entails seeing that it is completely conditioned and therefore
> is empty of any nature that it can call its own. The fourth stage that
> the upanishads talk about is given as an example of something that is
> unconditioned; but in Madhyamika Buddhism nothing is unconditioned.

I am still struggling my way slowly through Paul Williams' fascinating
"The Reflexive Nature of Awareness". Williams definitely seems to come
down on the side that orthodox Madhyamaka fails to answer the criticism
that "conditioning" requires *something* (as in something "real") that
ultimately causes the conditioning. Korean Buddhism appears to be
heavily influenced by Yogacara on just this point. It seems to me no
accident that Sosan Taesa uses "the one thing" as the organizing theme
for his "Mirror of Zen" (the 16th century classic still studied avidly
by Korean Buddhists). My own grand-teacher, Seung Sahn, often spoke of
this "one thing" - and made it clear that it is *not* conditioned. I can
almost feel him hitting me from beyond the grave as I say that! Ouch!

> Something you may be interested in looking at is Buddhist discussions of
> how the consciousness continuum boots up again after a meditator has
> been in the deep samadhi in which there is no awareness of either
> subject or object. This is not a trivial problem for Buddhism, because
> if everything is conditioned, what are the conditions that enable
> consciousness to reboot after deep sleep? (The correct answer, of
> course, is the body, but Buddhists, like Cartesian dualists, could not
> abide the idea of consciousness being fully dependent on bodily events,
> especially bodily events taking place outside the range of direct
> subjective awareness.) A very good book on this dilemma, and Buddhist
> attempts to solve it, is Paul Griffith's On Being Mindless.

The body can never be perceived directly - so what you are describing
amounts to believing in ghosts - and, worse yet, believing that ghosts
cause everything! I think this is the fundamental reason why western
scientism has to be rejected as a valid "take" on Buddhism: because it
insists on a crude and unexamined reductionism that is nothing but an
unsupported metaphysical supposition masquerading as the incarnation of
reason. The answer to the question "who am I?" has many possible
interesting answers, but "this body" is not one of them.

Curt Steinmetz