[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Oct 24 09:49:07 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 23:36, Joy Vriens wrote:

> I disagree. I think no physicalist or idealist theory is necessary as a
> basis for productive practice.

No, you don't disagree at all. (If you think we disagree, then I must
disagree.) I also do not think that any physicalist or idealist theory is
necessary as a basis of productive practice. My claim is not about necessity
at all, but rather about possibility. I claim it is possible to have a
productive practice based on a physicalist theory, equally possible to have a
productive practice based on an idealist theory, equally possible to have a
productive practice by ignoring theory altogether (the latter being my
personal preference).

> In the same way I don't see how my physicalism or idealism can make a
> difference in the way I deal with my anger, greed etc. It could be an
> add-on, but certainly not the basis. It's not a hindrance to productive
> practice if one can leave it in the back of one's mind/brain or whatever
> where it belongs.

That is precisely my point. I'm glad we agree. (Or do you still insist that we
disagree, you disagreeable fellow?)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy