[Buddha-l] on the South Korean hostages

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:23:10 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 13:15 -0400, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Pursuit of prosperity, patriotism, stern family values based children being
> absolutely obedient to parents (and citizens to government), etc. Not that
> Confucians have ever really understood Confucius....

Confucius strikes me as far more subtle than most of the Confucians who
followed him. This phenomenon of followers making a shambles of a
mentor's ideas is not unique in world history. Is there not a saying in
India that every teacher is killed by his disciples? (One of my Sanskrit
teachers told me that once. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to kill
him.)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy