[Buddha-l] on the South Korean hostages

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 11:57:33 MDT 2007

Richard,

> This phenomenon of followers making a shambles of a
> mentor's ideas is not unique in world history. Is there not a saying in
> India that every teacher is killed by his disciples? (One of my Sanskrit
> teachers told me that once. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to kill
> him.)

Last passage of the Linji Lu (Record of Linji) (Schloegl's translation,
modified):

The master was about to enter transformation (to die). Sitting, he said:
"After my death do not allow my True Dharma Eye to perish." Sansho burst
out: "How could your True Dharma Eye perish?" The master asked: "What then
will you say when in future people put questions to you?" Sansho gave a
Shout. "Who could have known that my True Dharma Eye would perish through
this blind ass?," said the master, and revealed his Nirvana.

Dan Lusthaus