[Buddha-l] Kobutsu Malone

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 14 13:50:55 MDT 2007

"Osho" is a fairly common designation (but not so common as sensei or
roshi) for "teacher" or "priest" (see, for example:
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/glossary_lr.htm ).

The traditional use of the word has been somewhat overshadowed by
Rajneesh's decision to adopt the title for himself. Rajneesh/Osho
provided his own explanation/justification (
http://livingworkshop.net/osho.html ), according to which the word is
derived from the Chinese "he shang", which, according to Rajneesh,
literally means "harmonious respect", but functionally, again according
to Rajnessh, came to mean "a self-taught teacher". I don't know if
anyone other than Rajneesh has ever claimed this "self-taught" meaning.
Rajneesh actually claimed that all Zen teachers have been, and/or
claimed to be, "self-taught" - which is an odd thing to say about a
tradition that places such a high premium on lineage.

I don't even know if it's the case (does anyone else?) if Chinese Chan
masters referred to themselves as "he shang" - but that much might be
true, I guess.

Curt Steinmetz (aka Myo Shin, Osho - in the interests of full disclosure)