[Buddha-l] Kobutsu Malone

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Sep 15 10:34:33 MDT 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007 13:50, curt wrote:

> "Osho" is a fairly common designation (but not so common as sensei or
> roshi) for "teacher" or "priest" (see, for example:
> http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/glossary_lr.htm ).
>
> The traditional use of the word has been somewhat overshadowed by
> Rajneesh's decision to adopt the title for himself. Rajneesh/Osho
> provided his own explanation/justification (
> http://livingworkshop.net/osho.html ), according to which the word is
> derived from the Chinese "he shang",

Now I am really confused. I thought the Japanese title "osho" DID come from
Chinese "hva shang." And I thought Bhagwan Rajneesh derived the word from the
English word "ocean." (Someone I knew who lived for some time at Rajneesh's
spiritual spa in Oregon said that was how Rajneesh explained the title.)

--
Richard