[Buddha-l] Moderation

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Apr 3 20:59:05 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 20:16 -0600, jkirk wrote:
> Sorry--this wasn't supposed to go to the list.

It was a message that was sent to an unmoderated list by mistake that
prompted the founding of buddha-l back in 1991. Sometimes moderation can
save a letter writer a degree of embarrassment. Unfortunately, I have
become lazy in recent years and have put most people on unmoderated
status. This not only saves me work but saves me from being accused in
public of being a censorious power-hungry tyrant. (I still manage to get
accused of that privately from time to time; I reckon people need demons
in their lives to project their complexes onto.)

This is perhaps a good time to remind people that even if they are
normally unmoderated, messages over 12K in length get stopped
automatically. That limit is long enough for most messages but too short
for most viruses. Almost always when a message is blocked for being too
long it is because either the author has forgotten to send it as plain
text instead of HTML-encoded text, or the author has neglected to trim
the message being responded to. Please, everyone, take the time to edit
everything out of a message to which you are responding except a
sentence or two---just enough to provide some context for your remarks.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy