[Buddha-l] Mereological nihilism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 21 01:46:49 MDT 2008

Wong Weng Fai schreef:

> Stumbled upon the following para under Transcendental Idealism in
> Wikipedia...
>
>> Some interpretations of some of the medieval Buddhists of India, such
>> as Dharmakirti, may reveal them to be transcendental idealists, since
>> they seemed to hold the position of mereological nihilism but where
>> minds are distinct from the atoms. Some Buddhists often attempt to
>> maintain that the minds are equal to the atoms of mereological
>> nihilist reality, but Buddhists seem to have no explanation of how
>> this is the case, and much of the literature on the aforementioned
>> Buddhists involves straightforward discussion of atoms and minds as
>> if they are separate. This makes their position very similar to
>> transcendental idealism, resembling Kant's philosophy where there are
>> only things-in-themselves (which are very much like philosophical
>> atoms), and phenomenal properties.
>
> Is it just Dharmakirti or isn't all of Buddhism mereological nihilistic?
>
> Also "Some Buddhists often attempt to maintain that the minds are
> equal to the atoms of mereological nihilist reality"? Really? Who?
> Sarvastivadins?
>
> Weng-Fai

I agree with Richard's comment on the quality of the article. Of course
everything that is composed has the three qualities of existence. I find
it farfetched to call this a kind of nihilism. To speak about the
Thing-in-Itself in plural is another typical mistake. The author
confuses Kant with the sensedata theory of Russell.

Erik