[Buddha-l] Signs of the end times

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Apr 28 20:04:15 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 18:35 -0400, Richard Nance wrote:

> If you're not averse to Tibetan teachings, there's a trove of free
> .mp3 files available at http://www.lamrim.com/index2.html.

When I was a child, I hated stew. I wanted all the ingredients kept
separate. I liked having my peas on one side of the plate, my potatoes
on another, my carrots in another designated region and so on. Stew made
me nervous.

I'm the same way about religion. I don't have the least trouble
attending Quaker meetings and going to Vipassana sessions and doing a
bit of zazen and samu, but they must be kept separate. Doing zazen at
the Quaker Meeting is just as unthinkable as standing up in the zendo
and blurting out truths that the world needs to hear.

What I'm getting at, really, is that it's time to firebomb YouTube. I
just returned from looking at some sites that had beautiful Tibetan
thangkas with (hold me back, Lord, lest I strike them all dead) HINDU
music playing in the background. And I saw a demonstration of Japanese
sword maneuvers with CHINESE music playing in the background. If this is
not a sign of the final days of the age of decadent dharma, I don't know
what is. Hallelujah, brothers and sisters.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy