[Buddha-l] I got plenty o' nothing

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 7 16:57:32 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 13:16 -0600, Michael LaTorra wrote:

> This also suggests that nothing is the thing will satisfy us (reification
> of emptiness?). So let's get some! As the song lyric from "Porgy and Bess"
> goes: "I got plenty o' nothing and nothing's plenty for me."

Yes, but Porgy cheats. He goes on to say he's got the sun, got the sky
and got the deep blue sea. Sounds like a grasping imperialist to me.
Probably a Republican. Maybe even a running dog lackey of capitalism.

I used to get confused by the expression "content with little." Monks
are always described as being content with little. I took this to mean
that I must be a monk, because there is so little I'm contented with.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy