[Buddha-l] the benefits of Jayarava's discussion

Perennial Favorites anemone at ghvalley.net
Wed Aug 20 07:25:45 MDT 2008

Joanna,
I couldn't begin to argue translations, but as a nonacademic Western
Buddhist, saying that "all things are disappointing" doesn't sound at all
like saying "all things are impermanent."
Disappointing has such an emotional charge to it, while impermanent sounds
more factual.  And emotion doesn't seem to me what Buddha would be
emphasizing in his last moments on earth.
I could be wrong.

Diana