[Buddha-l] the benefits of Jayarava's discussion

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 20 11:44:32 MDT 2008

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 10:48:24 jkirk wrote:
> Aside from Richard's clever renderings here, just want to quibble once
> again as follows: If we say "all conditioned things are impermanent," I
> prefer (even if one is not supposed to 'prefer' anything) to impermanent
> the term, "transitory"--because impermanent suggests permanence. The dhamma
> does not teach permanence--so wouldn't _transitory_ (e.g., likely to go
> away) seem more suitable?

That reasoning smacks of the old canard that an atheist must believe in a god,
for otherwise she would have nothing to deny. Surely one can believe in
impermanence without positing that there is anything permanent to contrast
with what one believes in. So for a term like "anitya," which is formed by a
privative and a root word, "impermanence" seems like a good translation.
For "vyaya," something like "mutable" or "changeable" or "transitory" better
captures the literal sense of the word. Since one of the meanings of vi+i is
to decay, how about translation the derivative word "vyaya" as "decadent"?
After all, doesn't most of the discontent that people experience stem from
their hankering after things that are decadent? (Or is that true only for
Americans?)

--
Richard