[Buddha-l] the benefits of Jayarava's discussion

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 20 13:52:39 MDT 2008

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 12:38:06 Jayarava wrote:

> Anyway it's
> not the final translation that is the interesting part but the journey
> getting to it

Yes, I agree. Almost always my experience has been that I love the process of
working on an ancient text, even when the by-product is an English text that
I would not think worth reading if it had been in English all along.

> Although my next long article shows that dictionaries can be wrong too
> sometimes!

Dictionaries can certainly be incomplete. There are no Sanskrit-English
dictionaries I know of that are trustworthy when it comes to philosophical
terminology, especially as used by Buddhists.

--
Richard