[Buddha-l] Purpose of life

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:17:42 MDT 2008

Ben C Diez wrote:
> Dear Buddha-l denizens,
>
>    I'm  doing  a  research  involving  the  question of
> purpose  and  I would like to know what is your purpose
> of life as Buddhists. In addition, I would also like to
> know how you respond to the Camus's questions, "Is life
> worth living? Why?"
>
>    Thank  you  very much for your contribution and best
> wishes,

I'm not sure how much of a Buddhist I am, what with all sorts of
attitude problems, mostly skeptical.
But as a more-or-less follower and practitioner of the Dharma....

Delight in a wonderful, passionate relationship with my wife.

Try to make a bit of sense out of the Buddha's teachings, maybe put a
few into practice.

Maybe penetrate a few mysteries of Zen, knock out a koan or two.

Enjoy the company of my cats, including the occasional dialogue with the
Siamese.

Eat well, and never pass up a good desert or glass of wine.

Learn a few things on the way. Read a lot.

Listen to good music of all kinds.

Perhaps ruffle a few feathers, especially of the pious. (That doesn't
seem to be very difficult at all.)

Camus' question isn't very good as it stands. Did he know what he was
asking? I certainly don't; do you?

Michael Paris